GREEN CHOICES • REDUCE • REUSE • RECYCLE
Getting Less Stuff: REDUCE:
- BUY LESS – do you need it? Can you fix what you have? Can you buy it secondhand? Barter or trade?
- OWN LESS – can you borrow it? rent it? or share it? (co-own)
- BUY GREENER – consider qualities like: reduced toxicity, reusability, energy efficiency, eco-responsible packaging, recycled content, minimal environmental impact from manufacturing, and minimal or no artificial materials and look for third-party verification (Ecologo, Fairtrade etc.) and sustainable standards.
• Read the label
• Look for products with fewer ingredients
• Avoid products with warning labels
• Buy organic
- Little or no packaging
- More durable
- Parts are replaceable
- Parts are RECYCLABLE
REDUCE ENERGY CONSUMPTION
Buy more energy efficient
REDUCE GREEN HOUSE GAS EMISSIONS
- Buy local
- Buy energy efficient
- Make or grow it yourself
- Buy direct from growers or local market
Consider the life cycle of a product (raw materials, manufacture, distribution, use and disposal).